Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Teacher Sarah: Our Sunday School Teacher A Short Story By Hazel Yee


Teacher Sarah was our Sunday school teacher, she’s fun, approachable, caring and loving. Among all the people in the church, she is someone I will never forget. One of the things that I will never forget is the way she taught us in our Sunday school class, she comes in prepared, and bringing all the stuff she needs for the class. Her eyes were always beaming with excitement as she starts the lesson with singing, dancing, storytelling and games.

However, despite of her efforts, her students failed to notice her sacrifice, love and commitment in bringing them in relationship with God. Sad to say, I was once participated in pranks we kids played on her: one Sunday morning, she was discussing a topic about the faith of Abraham, she was happy and energetic as usual, when she gave out a question, no one was answering, that was the time we start to giggle. She seemed not to notice that we were wearing earphones and we are not paying attention to her all the time until she called me, I dramatically stood up and blurted out “Ano po yun”?, [What’s that?] and everyone laughed out loud!

That was one of the incidents we played on her, we never realized how badly it affects her but she never show any hint of dismay. One time when I was going to the church library, I heard a soft whimper from the prayer room; it was Teacher Sarah, praying. I was just about to continue my walk to the library when I heard my name being mentioned in her prayer, she was praying for all of us, for the first time I felt the heaviness in her heart, “Father I commit my students to You, do not let them go astray, let Your Word be powerful in their life to change them according to Your will, shield them by the blood of Jesus so that the power of the enemy may not take hold of them. Lord I am limited in my understanding and ways and my days are numbered so before I pass away, may Your Word be rooted in them…”

I was stunned, tears began to flow down my eyes, we never realized how much she loved us and how heavy her burden is for us. I hurriedly wiped my tears in my eyes when I heard that she was standing up, I ran to the library and there I continued to cry.

It was Sunday morning, all of us were present that day, eagerly waiting for the coming of Teacher Sarah, we prepared our Bible; she always remind us to bring our Bible for almost every Sunday school class she would get upset for continuous reminding us to bring it for we carry our cell phones more than our Bible, we readied our pens and notebooks for we always forget that these two are pairs, sometimes we have pens but we don’t have papers, or the papers without the pens. I talked to everyone in our Sunday school class about Teacher Sarah’s prayer and just to show how much we appreciate her, we are turning a new leaf!

When the door finally opened we were surprised that it was not Teacher Sarah, the new teacher told us that she will be taking over the class in the meantime while Teacher Sarah is not around.

It was almost four months and we never heard any news from her, until one Sunday service, our pastor announced that Teacher Sarah passed away due to brain tumor which she was suffering for a long time. She continued her sacrifice and she never showed any quitting for the sake of her love for the Lord and for us. I cried over the news and I noticed that all her students cried at the same time, I remembered how bad we treated her, how we ignored her and upset her because of our stubbornness, I remembered how she gave everything for us, treated us to McDonalds or a free lunch or when we needed advice she was there all the time, yes, I remembered everything and how I felt regret for treating her that way.

“Hello everyone, I’m so sorry if I can’t be with you, I even failed to say goodbye on our last meeting, but that’s alright, I was diagnosed with brain tumor and I’ve had this for over a year,” it was a video of her in the hospital, she was lying with oxygen tubes attached on her nose, she had lost her hair and her skin and lips look so pale, but she never failed to wear a smile. “I will miss every one of you, my pastor, my friends and my students, you have been God’s gift to me that made me what I am today, a strong person inside this sick body. Someday when you see me, this body is renewed never again deteriorates. And I am praying especially for my students that none of you be lost so that when Jesus appears in all His glory we will see Him face to face and we will see each other, what a glorious sight that would be! I want you to be strong, influence the world for Jesus, love Him above all else and honor Him with your life. I wish I could see you now but I guess I will be stuck here in the hospital for a long time. Anyway, God bless you all!” That concludes the video, the atmosphere was filled with sadness for a person so wonderful died and we her students failed to show how much we loved her.

When we came to her wake, her sister reached out to us one by one a thank you card which according to her, Teacher Sarah wrote one week before she died. She also showed us some of her visual aids which were unfinished and a picture of us in the room during one of our Sunday school class. She filled her life with the memory of us even before she passed away and she was thankful for every experience.

A thousand times we made her cry, we ignored her and we played pranks on her. Though there are times we made her smile but there are more times we upset her because of our immaturity, but she responded with love, care and understanding. Teacher Sarah taught us many important lessons but one thing we will never forget is to value a person and treat everyone as a gift from God, because the life of a person has its limits and you don’t know when so while you can value everyone as if this is their last day on earth. There are many Teacher Sarahs today, she may be your mom or dad, a friend, a pastor, a church mate or someone you are ignoring within your community, turn a new leaf today before they say goodbye tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment